SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR PROGRAM
The Spiritual Director Program is designed for those individuals who wish to take a personal look at their spiritual beliefs and practices, and who wish to provide formal spiritual guidance, mentoring and direction for others.
A Unique Program
- It covers the 5 major religions of the world in addition to mystical and esoteric traditions, earth-based spirituality, and a perspective on the ‘new age’
- It looks at the concept of being a modern mystic within the definition of 21st century contemporary spirituality.
- Divine guidance and developing gifts of spirit are cultivated.
- The art of sacred ritual and ceremony is explored through sound, music, movement and dance.
- An overview on mystery schools is presented.
- It explores transitioning to the non-physical and conscious dying.
- The art of transformation and working with the soul is learned.
Who is this program for?
This program is ideal for individuals who wish to take a personal look at their spiritual beliefs and practices as well as for Psychotherapists and Counsellors who want to guide and support others on their spiritual journey. This area of study is very effective for Psychotherapists and Counsellors to have since many clients seek direction on their spiritual issues as well.
Areas of Study
This program is set up in 4 units with each unit building upon the understanding and capacities developed in previous sessions:
- Our Mystical Search
- Divine Guidance, Ritual and Ceremony
- Mindful Living: Conscious Dying – Certificate
- Working with the Soul
- To challenge & deepen spiritual beliefs
- To broaden knowledge of different belief systems and comparative theologies
- To understand the concept of divine guidance and learn to apply it to life
- To discover the value of ritual & ceremony
- To explore spiritual and cultural traditions that surround death and the dying process
- End of Life Care, supporting the dying, ensuring dignity, advocating on their behalf
- To support others though spiritual crisis, the dark night of the soul and transformation
- To examine spiritual values and practices
- To become a Spiritual Director or Spiritual Mentor
This program was created by Gord Riddell, Co-founder of Transformational Arts.
Note: In order to work as a professional Spiritual Director it is highly recommended to take additional training in Counselling Skills or the Spiritual Psychotherapy Training Program.
|PROGRAM||START DATE||END DATE||NOTES|
|Spiritual Director||Wed, Sept. 16th 2020||Wed, Dec. 9, 2020||UNIT 1 – Our Mystical Search|
|Wed, Jan. 6, 2021||Wednesday Feb. 17, 2021||UNIT 2 – Divine Guidance, Ritual and Ceremony|
|Wed, Feb. 24, 2021||Wednesday May 5, 2021||UNIT 3 – Mindful Living and Conscious Dying|
|Wed, May 12, 2021||Wednesday Jun. 23, 2021||UNIT 4 – Working with Soul|
Spiritual Director: Total Program Hours
111 hours + 9 hours case studies
Classes meet every Wednesday night, 6:30 – 9:30 pm, between September and June with scheduled breaks.
For a detailed schedule, application form and to reserve your spot, please contact Linda Kuschnir at 416-484-0454 ext. 23.
Program Format: Lecture, Discussion, Experiential, Meditation, Written Assignments, Journaling and 9 Case Studies.
Spiritual Director Training Program Courses
Unit 1 Our Mystical Search
Explore our spiritual history and traditions, leading us to examine the commonalities of spiritual experience globally. We must understand our Client’s birth religion to work with them effectively as Spiritual Directors.
- On becoming a Spiritual Director
- The ‘new age’
- Christianity – Early Mystics and Saints
- Judaism – Kabbalah
- Indigenous – Native Spirituality
- Wicca/Pagan/Goddess religions
- The Golden Rule that is common and translated to all great religious and spiritual traditions
Course Length: 13 weeks (39 hours)
Instructors: Linda Kuschnir Registered Psychotherapist, Spiritual Director
Guest Lecturers: Yvonne Brunelle, Sabastian Glass, Carmen Kattan, Christy DiFelice, Nina Menrai, Alex Pereklita, and Victoria
Unit 2 Divine Guidance, Ritual and Ceremony
Deepen your connection to the Divine and examine the historical role of ritual, while developing skills in creating your own rituals with personal relevance.
- Divine guidance, gifts of Spirit
- Demystifying channeling
- Spiritual guidance from higher realms
- History of the Great Oracles
- Consulting Oracles and Divination tools
- Creating rites of passage
- Sacred space and your personal altar
- Coming from Soul and Source not ego
- Emerging new concepts in spirituality, the Sacred Human qualities
- Introduction to mystery schools and esoterica
Course Length: 7 weeks (21 hours)
Instructors: Gord Riddell (Registered Psychotherapist, Spiritual Director and Coach), Maria Gallé (Registered Psychotherapist,Spiritual Director and Coach), Linda Kuschnir (Registered Psychotherapist, Spiritual Director, and Coach), and Pauline O’Hanlon (Registered Psychotherapist, and Spiritual Director)
Unit 3 Mindful Living and Conscious Dying – Certificate
An opportunity to look at our greatest mystery, and as such, our greatest fear. Fear of death often co-relates to our fear of living life fully and consciously. Cultural traditions around death as well as such difficult areas as euthanasia, suicide and assisted suicide will be explored.
- From aging to sagehood
- Grieving our losses, cultural traditions at death
- End of life decision making and legalities
- Dignity, advocacy, and client involvement
- Transitioning to the non-physical and conscious dying
- The choices of celebration for the completion of life
Course Length: 10 weeks (30 hours)
Instructor: Gord Riddell, Registered Psychotherapist, Spiritual Director and Coach
Unit 4 Working with the Soul
Put in place the skills to work with others as a Spiritual Director. We will explore the dark night of the soul, spiritual ‘madness’, spiritual emergencies and create a working model of the modern day mystic.
- Difference between spiritual direction and psychotherapy
- Mystery and faith
- Ego, personality and soul
- Higher purpose
- Dark night of the soul
- Spiritual emergencies/ madness, Spiritual values, and spiritual practice
- Understanding the dark passions and spiritual graces of the 7 chakras according to C. Myss
- Spiritual Director role & counselling skills
- Practicum, role-plays, and integration
- Closing ritual -Students performing in the Closing Ceremony Ritual
Course Length: 7 weeks (21 hours)
Instructor: Linda Kuschnir, Registered Psychotherapist, Spiritual Director and Coach; Gord Riddell, Registered Psychotherapist, Spiritual Director and Coach
Prospective Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age and have graduated secondary school. Students with differing and alternative pathways are encouraged to apply. Contact Linda Kuschnir, Registrar at 416-484-0454 ext. 23 or [email protected] to apply.
As enrolment is limited, you are encouraged to register now. All applicants for programs will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis depending on space availability. Once the program reaches maximum capacity applicants are placed on a waiting list. Acceptance into the program is conditional and requires an interview meeting in person or by telephone.
The minimum requirements are the Discovering the Total Self Program (may be taken concurrently) and some counselling skills. Those with differing backgrounds to the pre-requisites are invited to apply. All exceptions are made by the permission of Linda Kuschnir, Instructor and Managing Director.
If you do not have former counselling experience or are not a graduate of the Spiritual Psychotherapy, Holistic Program or other Counselling Program, inquire about the Counselling Skills courses offered through other TAC Programs.
Students must attend 90% of classes to receive a Diploma from Transformational Arts. All assignments must be completed successfully.
$3,200 plus a $185 Administrative and Materials Fee. Tuition tax credits are given for this program and it is HST exempt. A $300 non-refundable deposit is due at the time of registration. Financial plans are available. Costs for books and materials are additional.
Mindful Living: Conscious Dying Certificate
Unit 3 is a Certificate course within the Spiritual Director Program and may be taken as a stand alone course for those wishing to gain knowledge and understanding in End of Life Care. The certificate is awarded based on the same criteria as the diploma (see above).
This course has limited open spaces as most spaces are already filled by Spiritual Director students. Apply Early for this program. Included in Spiritual Director Program
Tuition – $800 plus $75 Admin and Materials Fee. Includes course booklet. Tuition tax credits are given for this program and it is HST exempt. A $200 non-refundable deposit is due at the time of registration. Financial plans are available. Costs for books are additional.